Tuesday, November 8, 2011

To-Read Tuesdays!

Last week I read Manitou The Sky People by:  Lexus Luke.

Wray has come to live full time with her great grandomther (A Ute native american) in Colorado after her parents were murdered.  Wray was adopted by her parents and therefore into the tribe.  As much respect as she has for her adoptive culture she is somewhat more skeptical of their beliefs than her MawMaw, or even her friends Kanaan and Amaya.  All of that skepticism is going to have to change.

Out riding her horse Wray stumbles upon (or thrown upon since her horse was spooked) a shiny sparkly skull.  Just as she and her friends are discovering the amazing things that the skull can do (such as heal cuts almost instantly) they also discover how many dangerous people want it.

Kanaan, Amaya, and Wray are caught up in an adventure that will shatter everything Wray has ever known, and possible be the end of life as Wray knows it.

I enjoyed this story.  I will have to admit that it did take me a little while to relax into Ms Luke's writing style and become attached to the characters, but by the time I was halfway through I couldn't put it down.  The action and mystery and romance escalate at a rate that parrallels the steep story arch.  You all know what a sucker I am for a good romance, but even I was more swept up in the mystery aspect.

Like any worthy first installment this left me panting for a second.

1 comment: